Monday 8 August 2011

Trip to the Sydney Opera House!

Something exciting that I did recently was attend a talk given by Thomas Friedman at the SYDNEY OPERA HOUSE (talalaLAAAAA!!!)  Thomas Friedman is my absolute FAVORITE New York Times editorialist, so I was thrilled when I discovered that he’d be visiting Sydney.  Friedman’s specialty is taking complex issues and breaking them down to their bare bones to the point where solutions seem simple.  During his Sydney Opera house lecture, he spoke about his new book called That Used to Be Us: How America Fell Behind in the World We Invented and How We Can Come Back, which explores the controversial topic of American decline.  One point he made that really stuck with me was that Americans these days are too fixated on looking at other countries like China and Japan to solve our current issues.  He proposes that, instead, we should be looking at the past version of ourselves, the version that once inspired other nations.  It was a refreshingly optimistic view.  I can’t wait to read his new book and discuss it with my dear ol’ dad, who is also a fan of his writing.  Miss you, daddio!!!

Strikin' a pose in front of the opera house!

No comments:

Post a Comment